Friday 9 March 2012

The Magic of Starbucks

It's no secret that I have a severe addiction to Starbucks. Although it doesn't call for an intervention quite yet, it can be a problem! It's not even that I am addicted to the drinks either... I don't drink coffee. I order a half-sweet extra hot non fat chai tea latte.... Seriously, so good! But I will not attribute my addiction to the chai lattes. I am addicted to the magic that Starbucks bring (I know, hokey)!

I met my husband at a Starbucks. On August 31st 2008, we had our first date at a Starbucks on the West side of the city. We literally shut the place down. We talked so much and so long, we hadn't realized we had been there for 6 hours until the Barista came over a told us to leave! ... Magic!

Two and a half years later, on March 25th 2011, he took me back to that same Starbucks and proposed! I wasn't going to get into the details of the proposal but now I feel as though I should. I had a bad day at work. He picked me up and to cheer me up, suggested we go to Starbucks. He knows me so well! So we walked in and I grabbed a table while he got the drinks. There was a paper on the table so I started reading, oblivious to what was going on. He came back to the table with our drinks. I ignored him (must have been really into what I was reading...). Then I went to gab a sip of tea and the cup felt empty. I looked at him with a "WTF" face! He didn't say a word. So confused I was going to open the lid to show him that my cup was empty but there was a box inside. I was thinking to myself, "No, he's not proposing to me, he must have gotten me a present!" I opened the box and there he goes starting on his little spiel and asking me to marry him. My reply? "Are you serious?!" Anyways.... Magic!

Well, I was a little stressed with work and such this week so I decided to grab my book and go sit at a Starbucks to relax. I'm crazy into this book I am reading (The Dovekeepers - Alice Hoffman) so I didn't really notice the couple next to me until I realized the girl was crying a little bit. So, naturally, I eaves dropped a bit. They were breaking up! He was using all the classic lives "It's not you it's me", "I'm just not ready to be in a relationship right now", "We can still be friends", blah blah blah! In a nut shell, he was telling her he wanted to be able to sleep with other people.

After they left, I started looking around and I saw a business deal go underway, a couple enjoying a coffee and relaxing, a mother and her little girl having a Starbucks and chatting, four girlfriends chatting, a few students with their books and laptops, a couple that seemed to be on a first date asking all those first date questions and my favourite one of all, I saw an older couple, approximately in their 80s, sipping their coffee, talking and holding hands... Magic!

I <3 Starbucks!

Thanks for reading,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment